Sixteen students were injured yesterday when fire swept through the Bakassi Female Hostel at the Yaba Collage of Technology (YABATECH), The Nation has learnt.
According to the paper, twenty rooms and six kitchens were razed; three female student fell into coma.
The inferno, some students said, started around 5am from a wing of the top floor of the hostel when the generator was switched on following power outage.
Others said it was caused by a power surge from the ground floor of the two storey building where computer monitors and Computer Processing Unit (CPU) are stored. It escalated to the second floor of the building.
Another eyewitness said the electric pole connected to the hostel sparked many times before the fire started.
The sparks have been recurring, some students said, blaming it on what they called deterioration in the hostel connection.
Some groups, Man o War, and Red Cross, it was leant, battled to contain the fire.
The students including an asthmatic patient, who fainted were rushed to the Military Hospital, Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Yaba and General Hospital on Randle Avenue Surulere.
The injured were rushed to the FMC and the Randle Hospital.