- Saint Augustine
As a young and high-spirited Nigerian youth that is born and bred in Nigeria for approximately sixteen years I can write journals upon journals of shortcomings faced by prospective Nigerian students including me in the academic pursuit into the higher institution. At the same time, with the few months I have spent studying in china, I can list tons of reasons why every Nigerian should aspire to study in china.
In retrospect, academically speaking, I am an epitome of excellence. Despite my ability to meet the admission criteria into the University with striking grades, I couldn’t secure one after two years of trying. This failure of my inability to get admitted into the University of my choice was not because of my incompetence to meet the entrance requirements but could be attributed to the following shortcomings that is prevalent in the Nigerian Universities admission system. These setbacks that have been thorns in the neck of every prospective Nigerian are:
lesser departmental quota relative to the massive number of applicants yearly;
unstable Governmental admission policies;
fewer higher institutions relative to the alarming number of prospects just to mention a few.
With all trying, struggling and toiling without positive result in securing an admission, my parents were so pressed with love and frustration mixed together deciding to seek admission for me across borders and the country of their choice was China after much consideration and thorough research. Though I was objectionable to this choice of theirs protesting with the question of why they will give China priority over the many beautiful English countries, I later see the many reasons why I will forever be indebted to them for given me the privilege of studying in china which I will otherwise tag ” A paradise in the shape of a country”.
Moreover, in this write up, I would be putting together a ton of experiences I had while studying in china that they have been a life changing one or what I would otherwise describe as “WHY EVERY NIGERIAN SHOULD DESIRE TO STUDY IN CHINA”. As the common saying goes that one will not know the taste of a sugar by mere story telling until one tastes it, this was also the case of China when I first landed, the view of everything were as if made from things of another planet with the glittering look they possessed as the atmosphere of an ethereal fresh breath dawn on me. Leaving behind all the unforgettable good gestures put up by the God sent people of China, on my way to the school of my destination, I would like to highlight among others some of the experiences I had and all the qualities my China school possesses that remains unparalleled by Nigerian universities.
- LEARNING FACILITIES: As it is always one of the shortcomings of many schools in Nigeria, my school is well equipped with studying aids and infrastructures which have made learning conducive. These range from standard modern laboratories equipment to competent lecturers. One of the qualities I cherish most about my school is the consistent maintenance of all equipment on ground thereby keeping them updated and time Befitting which is also a general practice of most Chinese universities.
- ACCOMMODATION: as opposed to most Nigerian universities (where students consistently clamor with a call for refurbishment of their halls of residence) my school provides a very conducive and beautiful accommodation for us students. These halls of residence are so of great standard that one will keep on wondering if there will be any other place as comfortable as it.
- STABLE ACADEMIC CALENDAR: Another striking feature possessed by Chinese schools generally is a consistently stable academic calendar. Without even emphasizing this, every Nigerian youth knows Nigerian universities (even the ones of great reputation) are sufficiently lacking in this. So why linger at choosing a school of one’s choice across Nigerian borders That Won’t waste one’s time on strikes and riot holidays? I bet it with you, Chinese universities are more than planned and managed to provide you with a study time which time effective and erstwhile.
- AFFORDABLE FEE WITH GRANTS AND SCHOLARSHIP SCHEMES: Well, it is no more news that studying abroad maybe money demanding. But another thing Chinese have planned and established for their international, prospective and actual students is a tuition fee policy that is that is made affordable with attached grants and scholarship schemes. These grants and scholarship schemes are well organized that they can be merited without stress and much scrutiny. Infact, I am currently on a scholarship that is worth 4000 dollars and there are still more to be enjoyed.
- LANGUAGE: Since the lingua franca in Nigeria is English language, it would be expected of any Nigerian to question the integrity held by Chinese institutes at offering courses in pure and fluent English. However, the irony of this that Chinese educational system is credited for providing a platform whereby there is a breach in language barrier and a solid Providence for international students in receiving lectures and running social activities in the language of their choice by employing competent and near impeccable teaching and non-teaching staff. At the same time, there is an established platform for learning Chinese language in a non-stressful manner in a bid to balance their social life.
- MY VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE: How will one describe a country like China that is so well organized with great foresight by making volunteering one of the leading and compulsory activities that must be undergone its higher institutions. We students are well encouraged to participate in this activity. Initially for me, having to step out of my arbitral comfort zone to engage in such activity was a difficult challenge but undertaking them as really changed my life for better by giving me the opportunity to be more confident in my life pursuits, one of my experience then was to teach English in a senior high class of about twenty students and for me I have never had the opportunity to stand in front of students like that not to talk of teaching. At first, I could feel burst of adrenaline hormone released into my blood stream and it all looked like I was going to pee but after summoning up the tiny bit of courage remaining in me and taking up the courage I could feel the goosing sense of relief bit by bit and I was so surprised with my performance and trust me, that experience killed every bit of timidity remaining in me.
In addition, to my delight, volunteering helped to acquire skills to the extent that it is reflective in graduates as they already have the streetwise trait of facing the labor market with great independence. Therefore, with this singular plausible quality, it should be a thing of great desire and aspiration for every passionate Nigerian youth to pursue higher institutional education in China.
RICH CULTURAL AND TRADITIONAL BELIEFS: This article will just not be complete without taking you through a glimpse of Chinese traditional beliefs and traditions. Stay with me, I promise not to bore you with too much details. The World is definitely forever in debt to China for its innovations. Ancient China was extreme advance and many of its discoveries are still in use today from a growing range of significant increase in infrastructure, agriculture, technology and my best part Chinese foods. It is needless to say that most of the best buildings in the world and made by Chinese architects and it may further interest you to know that one of the tallest building in the world Shanghai world financial center which is about 1555ft tall is located exclusively in the beautiful city of china and lot more breathtaking things located in china that has without doubt increase the value of this our planet earth.
It will be my utmost pleasure to also say little about China’s foods. Chinese food is very unique and traditional. Grains are the main food in China. Rice is the favorite grain among the people in the South. In the North, people prefer wheat, which they make in to bread and noodles. Corn millet, and sorghum are also eaten. Vegetables, especially cabbage and Tofu rank second in Chinese diet. Roasted sweet potatoes are a popular snack eaten by the Chinese. Pork and poultry are the favorite meats in China. The people also like eggs, fish, fruit, and shellfish.
Chop Suey originated in China. Chop sticks and soup spoons are served as the only
utensils at a Chinese meal. Tea is the traditional Chinese beverage. Ice-cream has gained
popularity in China which is my favorite in dire sizzling summer. China indeed has a lot of foods, in a country of over 1.4billion people, it will be pointless to say that there will be enough foods that you will find and definitely be adaptable to your own taste. So, do not worry about food as a lot of foreigners do before coming. A lot more about this tremendously magnificent country China I would still like to describe here but I wouldn’t be able to, not because I lack the words but because am in short of space.
Finally and sincerely, even words cannot fully describe All that have enjoyed since I have arrived in china. However, the article does not have the intention of encouraging Nigerians to forsake their country for China, but it’s trying in its best capacity by guiding Nigerian youths that are passionate about acquiring skills in a general sense in a bid to build a better nation out of Nigeria like China (which is ranked among one of the countries with stable economy that can be attributed to its educational system) by pursuing their academic dreams in the latter country.
In a bit to make Nigeria better,
Olanipekun Ayomiposi Femi (Eloquence),
2nd year Medical Student,
JIIUJIANG MEDICAL UNIVERSITY.